Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #58
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
I loved my GTOs. But they weighed 3700lbs and that was without heated seats, side impact airbags, or a sunroof. They were PIGS.
Yup, same weight as the E9x M3!

Quote:
And inside they were bigger than a new 6er.
But 500 lb. lighter!

Quote:
They also sit taller than the new Camaro and higher off the ground.
No freaking way. The top of the GTO roof might technically be taller, but the body line going from the nose/hood/lower-edge-of-greenhouse/deck is a LOT lower than the new WAY high blocktastic Camaros. The Camaro greenhouse is much more scrunched down and pinched, so technically slightly lower max height, but it's hood/fenderline/beltline are UP there!

Quote:
Great grand tourer, but certainly not low and sleek.
Relative to the Camaro, I'd say they are. Would be good to have an overlay...

Go here for R&T grid with Camaro: http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...d06531820e.pdf
GTO here (have to download to view: http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/ca...iac_gto_page_4

The GTO's nose, height of the hood above the front wheels, and lower edge of greenhouse are a good 3-4" LOWER than the new Camaro. GTO's decklid is maybe an inch higher, maximum height at peak of roof ~0.5" higher. GTO has a much bigger greenhouse, where the Camaro has a very high beltline with slits for windows.

The bottom edge of the rockers looks to be an inch lower for the GTO, ~5" vs. 5.9" for the Camaro.

Visually, to me the Camaro is MUCH bulkier with a much blockier front end, whereas the GTO *is* generally lower and more swoopily shaped, with a significantly lower and more raked front end.

The new Camaro looks like it could be the box that any previous gen came in! They got some styling details right (like the hips), but it's just too damn BIG.

Last edited by ZDan; 02-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote