View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 11:18 PM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i had a big reply, and the forum ate it. again...

anyways, been through this a few times. i'm on my 2nd brz because of the last one. someone ran a stop sign, where i had none.

there's 3 ways to play it, it all generally ends the same in all of them.

1. you use the attorney. if you've got one, that's great, but it's a lot of money to pay someone for a very clear-cut case.

2. you use your own insurance. generally, they'll begin processing the claim as if it was a single-vehicle accident, you'll need to come up with the deductible, and then they chase down the at-fault insurance company to recoup all their expenses and refund your deductible--discuss this with them, as because you're not actually at fault, it might not be something applicable to this case. the main advantage here is that they want to take care of you as best they can, because it means keeping you as a customer. they know the game, and they have a desire to maintain a relationship with you.

3. you go through the at-fault insurance company. generally this is the most direct way, as they pay directly for everything, but you are the hassle to them and it's in their best interest to get you off their books as fast as possible. they don't stand any benefit to treating you well, or taking the best care of you, they just want it gone. depending on the company, #1 can be a better option than this.

personally, i'd pick #2.