Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
??? Care to explain. Please don't compare the EJ257 to the FA20, two totally different engines, N/A vs Turbo...

Also the change in hp ratings from the 04-07 to 08+ STi engines were due to new SAE standards. The lower redline is easily removed via a tune in the 08+ STi, however if you know STi engines w/ factory turbo, you know its almost pointless spinning up to 7k rpm anyways.

I think Draco-REX is saying that a 2.5 N/A motor with 7k redline would be more favorable due to increased tq output, even if they kept the same hp targets of around 200hp.
To be fair, I was the one that started the comparison.

Essentially, since the peak torque is below 7K and peak HP is pretty much at 7K in the FA20, I don't believe adding .5L to the displacement would hurt anything *if* it cost 400rpm.

We're in the realm of the theoretical, anything is speculation at this point. I even wouldn't be surprised if the "STI" version ends up n/a 2.5L. But we'll see. No one's even cracked the ECU yet, so we don't know if there's any potential left in the FA20. There are a lot of rumors.....
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
bimmerboy (04-26-2012)