View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
With Scion's business model, it does. Mono spec means a single spec so in this case high end or low end. The foolishness of the business model itself is another topic (and one I bet I agree with you on).

Realisitically the FR-S really couldn't have been much cheaper. 20k simply would never happen, many of the things it has that aren't on the base JDM 86 are things required by law in the US, save for things like the extra speakers. Some of the features missing require expense US Gov testing, it's not worth it in Toyota's eyes.

I wish each of the two companies let you get whatever you wanted, which would require a lot of factory custom orders (seats, headlights, etc) which is why they didn't do it I'm sure.. there's some analysis they made that determined the most economical way of doing it.. and that's what they did.
I've already mentioned what I think about that business model in this thread lol. I won't repeat for the sake of sanity.

The only "options" I see that would be required by law are the orange side markers and the red reflectors on the tail lights, that's always been the case. For some reason N.A. law makers don't like clear plastic over our lights. Testing is expensive but with this vehicle (as it's already proven) would/is making that cost back quite easily and then some.

That last paragraph of yours, does not make sense in the slightest. Especially when you look at the world market. The ONLY place they've set this restriction on is North America, everywhere else they have the options and trim levels as Scion does not exist outside of N.A. So if this was the plan then it has a massive hole in it and it isn't going to do much good. Especially when you run into people like myself who refuse to buy the Scion or Subaru as they currently are. I'll only take a Toyota with the options I want and I know are currently being made for the car in other markets. Until then, they don't get my money. Yes, they'll still make sales but they're losing out on other potential sales as well. Not to mention people who settled for less in the Scion and would have gone for more if they could have.

Had that plan been implemented world wide, I'd accept that reasoning, but since N.A. is the only place it's been put into effect. I call