View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Info on OS Giken STR1C, STR2C and TR2C Clutches

There doesn't seem to be a concentrated place for OS Giken clutches on here, so I figured I would ask info for several of their clutches all in one thread.

Evasive, CounterSpace Garage and FR-Sport seem to be the main retailers of these clutches in the american 86/brz scene so any first hand info would be beneficial for both the community and yourselves.

Anyone else with first hand experience should chime in too

So lets this fill in blank session started.

STR1C:
Single Plate
Found in the $1400 range (+/- $100)
What is the max tq rating of this clutch?
- I have only found one site that mentioned a max tq rating at 500tq
- It had the warning that it is recommended to not exceed 60% of this max tq rating. Is this statement (True or False)?

The STR1C and the GTR1C are in the same price range so what exactly sets these two clutches apart? If the do not exceed 60% of max tq from OS Giken is true than the STR1 and the GTR1C would not really have to much of a difference between them (True or False)?

STR2C:
Twin Plate
Found in the $1900 range (+/- $100) *sometimes less*
- The same one site that claimed the STR1C was rated at 500tq also rated the STR2C at 500tq. But claimed that OS Giken recommended this clutch should not go past 80% of the max tq, which would be in the 400tq ball park. Is this max tq and recommended don't exceed 80% of the max tq statement (True or False)?

TR2C:
Twin Plate
Found in the $1900 range (+/- $100) *sometimes less*
- The same site as above along with a couple of others made claims that this clutch is rated around the 500-600tq range. answers seem to vary.

It seems at though the TR2C needs a separately purchasable throw out bearing, but does the STR2C also require that same throw out bearing? or will it come with one?

Comparisons:
I have had gone through 3 Exedy twin plate clutches between my evo 8 and 9. So my questions will be coming from a place where I felt that the Exedy twin plate on a 490tq/520hp was very easy to use. I enjoyed the clutch pedal feel, the on/off style engagement point was only annoying when I drove while being super sleepy or while breaking in new shoes, the chatter was there and fine for the most part only noticeable and annoying when trying to leave a shady neighborhood at night or when showing up to a meet your new friend off of tinder at 1am and then trying to silently leave that tinder friends place at 3am....or worst the tinder friend is in a shady neighborhood and it is 1am

So for those with twin plate experience please chime in as you get where I'm coming from. Even better if it is twin plate experience in an evo/sti... I'm looking at you Evasive!!!

How does the pedal feel on the STR2C and TR2C compared to the exedy twin or anything similar?

How does the chatter on the STR2C and TR2C compare to the exedy twin plate?

How do the on/off engagement points on the STR2C and TR2C compared to the exedy? More smooth? Less smooth? as in do you have more or less pedal range to slip the clutch into engagement?
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote