Old 05-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #43
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by projek_01 View Post
Fair enough, you have a stronger educational background (engineering) in this stuff than I do. Saying I have no idea about the tolerances and material specs however is incorrect and is very naive. Rockwell hardness measurements and micrometers were used to check the specs before reassembly. I also checked the alloy that Rotrex used with instrumentation I have access to just for my information.

I realized that I wasn't thinking right when I wrote that on my drive home today. What I meant to say is that those engines change RPMs very rapidly especially when people dump their clutches to launch into VTEC. The rapid change in RPM is rumored to be snapping the brittle hardened sun shafts. We know that hardened steel = brittle. Just a theory though and not a proven fact.

Either way, what's done is done and I am confident enough to run this blower. I will run some nylon filters on the hot side pipes before the intercooler for some added protection. Best of luck to me!

No more arguing on my end - what's done is done. I wrote this thread to help people understand what is potentially happening inside their blowers.
The higher RPM engines do not change the rate at which the RPM changes on a Rotrex, but a more responsive engine, e.g. one with a lightened flywheel, full WPC, etc, can have faster transient changes.

However, these "normal" rapid transient changes are not what makes the sunshaft fail. It's sudden rotational impulse that causes the failure, such has a hard shift causing a large rpm change in a very short amount of time, or bouncing off of the rev limiter, where you're making a lot of back and forth shock load.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
projek_01 (05-02-2019)