Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Bump for an answer to this. I know a 215 would be a bit stretched but it would be fine right? I'm have new wheels (17 x 8 et38) but don't have extra room to store the stock tires and I don't want them to go to waste. Could I run the stock tires til I burn them up and van slap on the 225s I want?
i did a little research on ideal tire and wheel sizes after asking that question.

in general, you want to match the wheel width to the tire tread width. each tire will have a different tread width. for example, a bridgestone re11 215/45/17 has a tread width of 8'', and the OEM 215/46/17 michelin primacy tire has a tread width of 7.5''. as you can see, both tires have the same specifications, but they have different tread widths.

if you look at pictures of the re11, you'll be able to see that the shoulders are much more squared vs. the OEM. this just shows that even though they have the same specification, they're made to accomodate different wheel sizes.

for you, fitting 8'' wheels on the OEM tires will give it a more stretched look than the RE11. you can find the tire tread widths on tirerack.com. hope that helps.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote