Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #71
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
I wouldn't bring techniques (like that) you pick-up in Forza/GT5 to the real road. The tire model in Forza/GT5 suffers (? might be deliberate) from inadequate tire break-away characteristics. The grip goes away too progressively, and that gives you the ability to correct the understeer the way you describe, in the game. On a real tarmac that might not work if your front tires are already sliding, weight transfer and less gas might not be enough to regain traction. That said, if you're understeering in the snow - absolutely turn the wheel more. The larger pile of snow that bigger steering angle will help create on the side of your front wheels will help you turn
It's been a LONG time since I tried any performance driving in a FWD "in real life". (early 90s - man I feel OLD!).

The problem with understeer is that while it's easy for novice drivers to get under control, there's usually not a lot of space left on the road to straighten the wheel and then apply brakes - but I guess if you do it "rally style reflexes" quick enough, then sure.

In my normal driving (say FWD car in the rain), if I got understeer in a turn, I'd lift off the gas. Turning the wheel more wont help BUT as you're totally off course, you'd need to turn the wheel more just to get back to your lane. So I lift and turn more until I gain traction - at which point my wheels are pointing the car in the direction I need to go.

In racing games, if I'm understeering towards the sand on the outside of a turn after a long straight (and missed my braking point completely), I'll throw the hand brake just to get the car to rotate and attempt to drift through the turn. Then again, I really suck at racing games! Hahaha
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote