View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post

Hmm, I wasn't trying to say it wouldn't work, though I can see how that was what I communiticated. Of course grounding to the body will work, just not as effectively.
Not as effectively as what? Not all alternators have a bolt for the battery to ground to and when they do the battery still has multiple grounding locations in your engine bay. Not to mention the fact that the shorter your ground cable is the better, meaning having a cable running from the back to the front is not as good as simply grounding in the back.

Also when grounding in the trunk im not just drilling a hole though the floor pan and grounding it there, im running it through existing bolts, I like using seatbelt bolts at the bottom of the seats, some of my installers like using other points, but its not just to sheetmetal.

Another point, if you are running the battery positive to the alternator and the alternator doesnt have 2 separate positive outputs it generally a good idea to use a battery isolator to keep the two batteries separate.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote