View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
alluringreality

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
did anyone mention suspension in this thread?
I think corner weight in the following quote may partially relate to suspension. I'm guessing the suspension plays a part in how the weight of the vehicle is distributed across the four tires, which I figure would be called corner weight. Driving the Impreza in wind it sort of feels like the front tires lack much grip compared to the RWD vehicles I'm used to, yet I have rarely driven FWD or other AWD vehicles to say if it's normal. In the NASIOC Impreza thread there was a comment that a stiffer rear sway bar may help the car from needing so much correction, which I believe might alter front corner weight, but generally I'd rather sell the car than trying to fix it. The Camaro also has wider tires that were not chosen for fuel economy, so I figure that also comes into play compared to how the Impreza drives. It's been a few years since statics class, so I can't say how much of this is correct compared to what I read on the rear sway bar idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
The amount of slip angle generated is dependent on lateral center of pressure location and cornering stiffness (lateral force per degree of slip angle) which is a function of tire construction and corner weight.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote