View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #154
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tires are a normal wear/tear consumable. You'd have to replace those on every car. I was spending $1000 on track tires for my FR-S pretty frequently. Tires are tires. They don't care what brand of car they sit on. Crank pulley mishap, that stuff happens all the time. Debris on the road takes out radiators, tires, destroys body panels, etc... That's just bad luck. But again, it has nothing to do with your "10k maintenance" costs. Clutches are a bit more expensive, no doubt. However, my clutch was going out at 12k miles in my FR-S (due to the extra power I was running). Clutches are just another wear/tear item you have to plan for.

I still don't see where your nightmarish maintenance and repairs are. Porsches are much more reliable than you (or others) make them out to be. I had FAR more problems with my FR-S, than I ever have with my Porsches. Yes, we've had numerous turbos, 911s, 912s, 914s, 930s, etc...

Sounds like you were unhappy with your 911 turbo, and are voicing your bad taste against all Porsches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik View Post
Keep in mind I did have a 911 turbo. Tires were $1200+, Clutch replacement was $4000 (they only last ~35k miles), just to start. Made the mistake of taking it to a dealer to get the overflow tank replaced and a few other things looked at - $2000. Also my crank pulley got a chunk taken out of it by road debris (WTF?) and that was $1000. There were numerous other little things I did as well.

I think I was on the high end of things but these aren't the kind of cars you can take to any shop. A new crate metzger motor for a 996/997 turbo is something like $30k from Porsche. A new front diff is $7000 and a new trans is about the same. The front diff has a non-serviceable seal - if it leaks you have to buy a new diff. Same with the auto trans in the 997.1 turbo. These pretty much only apply to the turbo, so you wouldn't need to worry with a Carrera.

The clutch in the turbo is horrible b/c it's assisted by a high pressure system that feeds off of the power steering pump. I think a 997 carrera probably has a better clutch and probably has better overall driving feel compared to a 997 turbo.

I'm just trying to throw a totally contrarian opinion out because people really really jump onto the Porsche bandwagon and I don't think it really deserves that kind of irrational attraction. Just my two cents. Maybe it was just the turbo - probably would have been much happier with a carrera.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
flippy (04-22-2015)