View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
welllam

Drives: STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Regarding the installation of the vortech kit, I felt your pain.

Pain 1: the freaking windshield reservoir. After installing everything, I poured the windshield cleaning fluid back (luckily not after putting together the bumper), and found the leak. After trying 4-5 times flipping the rubber seal around, pushing it to the max or pulling it, and it still leaked. In the end I used sealant to get the job then. Then I filled it up again, and later found out the neck was also leaking..... I needed to do the same thing again and sealed everything up.

Pain 2: Tube C (the MAF sensor tube)
Interestingly, my tube B has very good clearance. Not all kit alike? Tube C was knocking the frame and the headlight all the time. I think the ECU was detecting the knocking of tube C to the frame as knock, and I saw some knock correction at some very random and low rev place. So I needed to undo the bumper and headlight to adjust the tube C. Also, according to the instruction, the headlight power clip putting aside move was for FRS only, but it was apparently needed for BRZ. After numerous trial the tube still touched the frame so I made some adjustment by using another hose clamps at tube C and zip tied it to a hole next to the coolant reservoir cap.

Pain 3: The bumper does not fit back well. There are big gaps around the edges of headlights.
Need to check why, might be the intercooler was not adjusted correct, but does yours fit perfectly?

In the end it took me 20 work hrs and like 40 man hours to get it done. I think if there is second installation it can be down to 8-10 hours.

I believe the instruction was OK (of course it can be improved), because I am a noob and most of the things are understandable. For those that I do not understand, i will play the spot the difference game and try to match the location vs the pictures.

Oil cooler seems like a must, because today i was at the track and after 3 mins the oil temp went up to 125c. I was using 0w20 and this was one of the issue. 5w-40 should handle ok in short run like 5-6 mins, but for longer run oil cooler is a must. Your set up seems workable, however I concern I have will be the 3 layers of radiator. After each layer there should be a big drop in terms of receiving cool air... How is your setup performing?
welllam is offline   Reply With Quote