View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All this is on stock calipers and rotors, so grain of salt, but at the end of the day you've got a steel disc and a pad going on it.

I tracked Carbotech XP10's and AutoX'd them for nearly a year, they were great except for the noise, I could not DD them, I'm not aggressive enough to keep them bedded in. I found they had good initial grip in the relatively mild cold we get out here. They made me a big fan of Carbotech after I roasted the stock stuff on track day #2. They're still sitting in a box and they'll get installed the next time I'm headed to the track (but no plans for that right now). Honestly after 3 days on track they barely look used up (maybe 80% life left?) so they're overkill for my skill level at the moment.

I switched to Project Mu NS400, (their street pad) and I've felt a bit of fade on them for big nationals style courses, they're still in for right now because it was just a brief bit of sponginess near the end of a run, I can't rule out bad driving at this point. Great pad on the street (zero noise, reasonable dust, predictable consistent stopping power in 'weather'), no way in hell I would put them on track.

Because I fear fade on the PMu I won't be bothering with another sporty street pad like 1521 or Stoptech, but I think Carbotech AX6's are next on my list once I burn up the PMu. I also thought about DS2500, PMu HC800+ and potentially a Winmax (I think W3-W4 might be in the ballpark, not sure) but I'm going with what would appear to be a known quantity. I couldn't pin down which Winmax would be best and the Ferodo's sound a bit too aggressive for what I'm looking for (particularly in the noise department).

I've read a ton of mixed reviews on Hawk so I haven't done much research on them, most reviews seem to fall into either 'they're perfect' or 'they suck', but I'm sure many many people love them for a reason, I just didn't feel like taking the plunge.

Oh and I've got 59k miles on my OE rotors, that includes 3 track days and over a season of casual autocrossing with the XP10's in (two track days on stock pads). Hopefully those J-hooks are at least as stout as the OE stuff, I'd be surprised if anything DD-able chewed them up too bad.

Last edited by strat61caster; 05-15-2017 at 02:15 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
JMon85 (05-15-2017), Stang70Fastback (05-15-2017)