krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes indeed. It has happened in the past. It would be great if they managed this. From my point of view it is just weird that the new car has a much more advanced suspension (in Tada words) and rims & tires with the old specs. It doesn't make sense. Personally I would expect a 225 tire like the one in the BRZ tS.
If the web is correct, the new car will feature a stiffer rear subframe and switching the shocks from Showa to Sachs.

When they originally developed the 86/BRZ, they had both Showa and Sachs developing the shocks, and in the end they went with Showa (most likely for cost reasons) and the Sachs version became a Toyota optional accessory in Japan by the 2nd model year. Most likely they are just going with the optional damper on the new car.

On the Japanese blogs they also mentioned the original BRZ tS went with Showa shocks to keep the cost low, but the 2nd version switched to Bilstein monotubes with inverted front struts to increase performance.

Looks like Toyota/Subaru will get a good 10 year run on this car (usually that's how long a good design era will last anyway) and it'll become another legend afterwards.

I wish somebody can sub this video into English (I can't understand Japanese), check out the familiar faces involved in this discussion to talk about the various design philosophies undertaken by the different Japanese manufacturers of the sports car (Toyota, Subaru, Honda, Nissan, Mazda):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uFOvNyX4Jk"]86€…€夏*‚Š ›”‚ƒƒƒ„‚ƒと•人のƒ‚‚ƒƒ ‰ with œŸ‹œ*‚ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by krayzie; 05-14-2016 at 01:27 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-14-2016), Mr.Impreza (05-15-2016), nikitopo (05-15-2016), Zaku (05-14-2016)