Old 10-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #59
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
That's what I said LOL. The tube allows unmetered air to pass the MAFS. This causes the ECU to add less fuel (because it thinks there is less air). Leaner mixture makes more power. With a proper tune, this "inner pipe" is useless.

Oh, and the cold air on the dyno helps haha.
Well not exactly. I think you're on the right track though. That tube doesn't allow unmetered air to pass through the pipe. MAF readings are calculated using pipe diameter and filament reading taken from the sensor itself. So any air that doesn't specifically pass over the sensor itself is purely a calculated value based on what I listed above. Rather I think this small tube is altering that calculated theoretical air flow value by changing the effects of the airflow.

I have to run a flow simulation to test my theory. But the short of it is I think that tube is altering the turbulent/laminar flow characteristics of the air past the sensor at the higher airflow rates in the upper rpms. And by doing so affects the MAF reading to help lean it out up top.

But yes, all of this is rather moot when you consider that this can be compensate for on the tune.

Just so we are clear. I am not disagreeing with your statements. I share the same thoughts on mostly all of it. I'm just sharing my opinion as to the effects of the small air tube.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-10-2012)