View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #55
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinski View Post
The Skyway is fun, but is certainly a little more scenic than the Dragon. It's nowhere near as bad as the BRP for gawkers and sight-seers, though. If you're headed to Deals Gap, you might as well hit both, since they're so close.

Other fun roads in western NC are the Diamondback like you pointed out, the Rattler (NC-209), NC-197 between I-26 and 19E, NC-80 (Devil's Whip). If you want to venture up to VA, the Back of the Dragon (VA-16) is fun.

When my brother and I went and met up with one of his buddies from high school, the intent was to check out most of those that you mentioned. His buddy swerved off the road to miss a dog while circling the mountain on the diamondback about an hour before we got there to meet him, and totaled his car. Ironically, he wasn't even driving spirited when it happened, but he was the "guide" who had planned everything out and he had to opt out before we even started. We ended up doing the dragon and the diamondback, and having an amazing time but I still wish we could have seen some of the other ones.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote