View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #46
JOSEC

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
This thread makes me cringe. As I built my motor using heads off of an early 2013. I had previously helped with a car getting this code that was a 2013 with forged internals. The owner of the car was always having issues and the owner was tired of dealing with it. Everything except the sprocket was replaced. When it came down to the sprocket the owner decided to have the code shut off and cross his fingers. As the code is tripped by an error margin of vvt learning thresholds. If your car uses a higher duty cycle to obtain the requested vvt for so many seconds you get one code. If it takes a different threshold of seconds you get a different code. I have the documentation on this from Subaru somewhere. The ecu update as far as I am aware was Subaru just changing the threshold as the allowed duty cycle was too aggressive before.

Last I heard of this car it was shipped off to the owner and he has driven it for months. His car was estimated to be right on the edge of the threshold. We did drive the car for a week or two to make sure it was running okay after disabling the code as the cel would come on fairly consistently. I was against turning it off but the owner requested it.

My personal car takes longer than most cars I ever touch for vvt to initialize after flashing the ecu and my duty cycle was close to the car I had previously worked with. Fingers crossed on mine...
Yeah, I hope you won't get this. My car is a MY2014 with just over 16000 miles on it. I have a tune, intake and exhaust. And this is my only car which worries me. I'll see what Subaru does for me and post updates here.
JOSEC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JOSEC For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (01-17-2016)