SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Usually the advantage of jumping to a larger diameter rim is being able to run a smaller sidewall with the same overall diameter. This gives the tire a more responsive feel and crisper turn-in. The disadvantage however, is the increased weight of the larger wheel.

I don't have any data to backup my thoughts, but crisper handling doesn't necessary equate to quicker lap times, especially when the 17's with stiff walled tires like the Bridgestones are already crisp. The increased wheel weight will definitely slow down acceleration.

So my short answer is no, and I don't think it's even worth testing.

Some here have done testing the opposite direction (@seanrtr) and dropped down to a 16" wheel to save wheel weight. I don't think his tests were entire conclusive (you'll have to search back a few posts), but they didn't seem to yield a huge advantage.

Speaking of Sean, sorry to hear about the injury, that sucks man! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks. I think if I could get an ultra lightweight wheel, with the correct offset, the 16's may actually be the correct setup. The 225/50/16 Bridgestone is wider, and shorter than the 225/45/17. To me, the RE71R has a stiff enough sidewall, that actually adding more sidewall seemed to make my car easier to 'feel' and drive at the limit. I won't know the true potential of this setup until my tires have more runs, which sounds like it won't be this year.

I don't see how 18's would be of any benefit.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanRTR For This Useful Post:
TMF (08-10-2016)