Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
MrAmalto

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not anymore or more accurately not anymore in Canada. My 14 warranty makes it very clear that any form of "organized" racing including time trials will void all aspects of the warranty. So if I track my car at any form of sanctioned event and my sound system breaks then it is not covered! So I can hammer the hell outta it on the back roads or parking lots and all is good but as soon as I pay somebody to use a track or anything that can be determined as a race no more warranty.
I guess the trick is to only participate in "disorganized" events and if taking your car in for warranty work never start the conversation with "well I was racing at the track and...."! Pretty hard for them to prove you were racing/tracking if you don't tell them.
The ironic part is my dealership called me a few weeks and offered me tickets to the Canadian Sport Compact Series and had a special section and rates for racing your FRS!
Oh, I didn't know about Scion's change in warranty, at least in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if Scion will or has already made the same warranty changes in the States (wouldn't know since I drive a 13').

I'm guessing the only reason the Scion warranty originally didn't mention anything is because Scion hasn't had any cars which were competed in as much before the FR-S. I know there are a decent number of people who compete in TV's but I don't think nearly as many as in FR-Ss.

Anyways in many nearby Autocross events I see BRZs which tape over their license plates while competing so dealerships can't legally prove their car was used in a competition. Most of them are in the local branch of the FT-86 club and I haven't heard about any of then getting their warranty voided, at least not because they competed. XD
MrAmalto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrAmalto For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-01-2014)