Old 09-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #229
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,498 Times in 978 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That whole area in NC is great driving territory. Only two or three hours from my home in NW Georgia.
Yep, sure is! Found a couple of new ones too. The Skyway is still closed but some in our group found a back way that bypassed the construction and ran over 30 miles of it without seeing another vehicle until the last couple of miles. Seems some had figured they could run up as far as the construction and then turn around.

Quote:
@Stephen W. it doesn't look like it, but did you get over to Lake Lure? Great little town and is the site where Dirty Dancing was filmed. Some great back roads in that area too if you know where to look. It's on the other side of the continental divide from where you were.
No we did not cross the divide. Just not enough time to do it all. We did come all the way down #129 to Deals Gap and got our photos taken by both Killboy and US129. (Around 10:40 Friday September 15 if your interested.)[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Helen, at the bottom of you loop is a fun little stop too, for those that don't know. A full Bavarian village right in the middle of the Georgia mountains.
We made a stop there too but it was very busy and all the places had line ups. So, after we did a little walk around, pit stop, we were back in the car and driving. I love Richard Russel for it's tight turns and undulations. It ends, (or starts depending on your direction) at #180 and I love that road too for it's fast flowing sweepers. Last time I rode that section of #180 the pavement was so fresh, there wasn't even any lines on it. Eight years later it's lighter in colour but just as smooth and still has great grip.

I'd have to go check the car but I think in total door to door with all our side trips we put on 4600 kilometers. Ran into rain several times and most of Sunday from when we left Murphy NC right through until we stopped for the night about an hour short of Erie Penn.

Most important; Did Not Crash! (others did...)
Attached Images

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-20-2023), JD001 (10-29-2023), Lantanafrs2 (10-29-2023), Spuds (10-26-2023), The Red One (09-19-2023), Ultramaroon (09-19-2023)