Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
"Big price and big weight"....

Plus

"1) Bringing together both companies' strengths to jointly develop all-wheel-drive models that offer the ultimate sensation in all-wheel driving
2) Joint development of the next-generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ"

Plus

"
Chief engineer Tetsuya Tada let slip to Australia's Motor recently that he believes the new 86 will be "better than the Supra," although we're not sure exactly what he means by that." - Car & Driver

My guess is something akin to the old Celica All-Trac, utilizing the Subaru global platform and drivetrain. As of a matter of fact, I bet Toyota couldn't wait to shit all over another one of their old nameplates by letting it be basically a badge engineered car.

Hey Ichi, if thats true, at least it'll be like a return of the 2 door GC8's....ish. I imagine it keeping to a two door body is about the only thing it'll have in common with the 1st gen.

Love to see coupe WRX... but I wrote this somewhere. I don’t see why Subaru wanna kill the sale of BRZ (coupe) & WRX (Turbo awd) w 1 car? As a fan, it make sense... as a business perfective, it doesn’t make sense.

Also Tada-san isn’t involve in current 86 project (iirc), he knows few info, but don’t think he knows a lot. Tbh I’m not even sure Toyota knows what’s going on atm. & let’s face it, he is the father of 86... do you think, he gonna talk trash bout 86 even he’s not involved? I’ve rarely heard him talk bad about anything. Unless somehow they stiffen up the chassis more than Supra plus made it lighter AND Subaru build better FA20 engine NA, take all those article as a grain of salt.