Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I'd been running Mobil1 5W-30 since ~10K miles (~53K now), and just recently bumped up again to Mobil1 0W-40. Should pump a little bit easier at cold temps, and give me a little more peak heat resistance to thinning out.
0W-40 is thicker in the cold than 5W-30. The mobil1 0W-40 is also 1cSt thicker at 100°C than Mobil1 5w30 (negligible difference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still putting together all the puzzle pieces, doing my best to make sense of it all.

So 0w-20 oil is the recommendation by Toyota. I see that definitely being good Fall thru Winter. So possibly a 0w-30 ( or 5w-30) in Spring thru Summer ?

The two kickers of having a oil cooler for your engine: 1. initially watching for leaks, take care of them asap. 2. upon doing an oil change , making sure all the old oil is out of the system thru gravity . If the engine takes about 7.5 quarts of oil, not sure how much extra ( 1-2 quarts ? ) the oil cooler will hold upon doing a oil change. Its extra oil for the system, just making sure to drain it all is important.

On the oil cooler situation, can anyone recommend a good system to go with ? I'm not up on brands and models, of what's what.

Thanks in advance
If its just your simple daily driver, grab the oem subaru forester oil cooler. Warms up your oil faster with cold starts and helps lower oil temps (albeit only a little).

And California temperature doesn't change enough to really consider changing oil weights.