View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #23
fminicooper

Drives: FRS Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I would assess what you have first, including the condition of your top mounts and suspension bushings. 115k miles is enough that it's not just your shocks that are tired!

One advantage of a full coilover set up is you'll replace springs, shocks, and sometimes topmounts too in one package. But you can piece that all together with a regular spring + fixed perch style damper + new OEM mounts and it may be better for you than a cheaper coilover.

Coilovers aren't always better, especially if you want stock height. The most important part of the equation is the damper itself. Very cheap coilovers make sacrifices in the quality of the damper to get all the other features at a certain price point.

If I bought a BRZ/FRS/GT86 tomorrow with over 100k miles to build as a strictly street car...I would do the following:

1. inspect every bushing and suspension arm, replace with new OEM or group N rubber if needed. And replace rear toe and rear LCA arms with something adjustable.
2. new shocks, springs, top mounts. A couple different options here. Bilstein B6 is a good choice, and there are new options I haven't had a chance to test. OEM PP springs, RCE Yellows, some of the STI springs, those work well. OR good quality road & track style coilovers if you want something a little more extra.
3. inspect brake pads, rotors, calipers, and replace fluid.

I should make a "just bought an older ft86" package to put on the site.

- Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Are Bilstein B8 a better option than B6 with 1" lower springs?

Context of the question, I am in a tight budget thanks I’d prefer more track time than tuning time (10 track week end average per year). Running E85 NA with headers, 245 tires (200tw) and BBK brakes, OEM suspension with some camber and 1" lower spring. As I improved a lot in my driving and times, I feel that the car is flying, moving too much. So I was thinking to change that OEM rear struts with B8 ($350). If I move to coilover, after alignment, LCA arm etc., etc., is going to be $2000.

I will appreciate if you or anybody let me now what do you think.

Fernando

Fernando
fminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote