View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
pure crap! if you know how and when to utilize compression of the engine to brake,you should never lose control,just don't use too low a gear,and you shouldn't lose control.it's a "good " idea on a regular basis ,it DOES save wear on your brakes,and the engine being under "load" is normal,because it's engineered,and functions normally under "load" you are correct in saying it is helpful when descending,as the engines' compression (braking effect) will help slow the vehicle to maintain control,AND lessen wear on the brakes.in everyday driving,it is indeed beneficial,and again,reduces wear on the brakes. have driven stick for over 40 years,and i consider myself a skilled 'stick" i ALWAYS utilize compression of the engine to slow the vehicle,and consider it part of my everyday driving.my cars have lasted on average 200,000 miles or better with zero engine issues whatsoever!
Maybe its my 10 years of driving an 85 MR2 manual transmisson like I stole it that leads me to my experience in these matters. I learned the hard way that vehicle handling at the limits can be very sensitive to trailing throttle understeer even upsetting vehicle stability in a straight line. Using your engine to save your brakes is unecessarily risky and not worth saving brake pads. The FR-S is not as tail happy as the MR2, but enough so that I won't be progressively downshifting to supplement braking.

In the context of the original post. Progressive downshifting and engine braking on freeway off ramps and the like is just asking for trouble. Releasing the throttle smoothly, braking down to the desired speed, shifting to the desired gear and accelerating from there is how it's done. Engine braking as a substitute for brakes is pure crap. Good luck.
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote