View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #117
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I agree it looks great, and I'd be willing to swallow a targa top if they deemed it necessary to make sales, but I'd prefer if they made a hardtop version.

40hp of hybrid power is actually quite a bit, that would require around 100lbs of batteries (which is a lot of money). I would expect more like 20hp. A 20hp motor on the crank should add 100-120Nm of torque to the low end, which is a pretty big boost for a 4 cylinder engine. Of course, I wouldn't mind something more powerful lol.

I also would not want 330hp from the 2.0 engine, unless they were pushing it to 9000rpm to get that power, because they would need as much if not more boost compared to the CTR to get there, and that's just way too much turbo lag.

All that said, I am a little concerned Honda won't be able to keep the weight down on this car, because the CR-Z is almost 2700lbs with the manual transmission, and the S2000 was quite heavy at >2800lbs (granted, a similar MR layout car would have been a little lighter due to no driveshaft, less exhaust piping). The turbo engine and transmission are going to be quite heavy, nevermind a hybrid system which will add another 100lbs. The closer the car is to 2900lbs the less it differentiates itself performance-wise from an entry level Porsche, and Porsches are really hard to beat as a package.
I hear ya... but I'm very willing and hoping the marketspace would prefer the extra weight both for stability (put that battery ahead of the driver!) and what extra torque it could afford with a larger battery. The CTR spin to around 7k rpms, right? I'm ok with that range with a DCT and it not being a 'race car.' I'm very much looking forward to this sub-genre of hybrid sports cars selling big. I loved the P1/918/LaFerrari/NSX/i8 tech when it first hit; active aero, battery torque fill, multi-power units, etc.

With ~320 hp anything under 3,300 lbs would be just fine for weekend cruising; and good weight placement for quick hookup on power down. A base 996 911 puts out only 320 hp with 3,000 lbs of weight and can still scoot to 60 in under 5 seconds and through a quarter under 13. With some augmented lower end grunt via the battery I see under 4 no problemo for the Honda. And I want a cool launch control sequence, damnit!

The Alfa Romeo 4C and Cayman would be the closest MR competitors, right? Alfa is at 2,500 lbs with 237 hp/258 ft lb does 4.2/12.9 @ 107 mph and the 718 at 3,150 lbs with 300 hp/280 ft lb does 3.9/12.4 @113 mph. That's quick stuff for 99% of drivers. It'd be odd for Honda to take the lighter or higher horsepower route but with the 718S bracketing the upper realm at 350 hp... Call it 300 hp + 20 hp/80 ft lb battery assistance on a stretched S660 chassis with CTR brembo brakes, DCT from the NSX and that swanky futuristic minimalist interior with a HUD. That's distinctly a Japanese identity. Performance to 60 in under 4 seconds and through the quarter in under 13 makes it competitive. Throw on a T-top, then price it at $59k + destination makes it the 'consumer choice' and I'll sign the dotted line today.

The way I see this becoming bloated is with all-wheel drive and carbon fiber. Or they downsize it too much and go only with the 1.5T on a petite chassis and push it to around 250 hp and sell it for $39k. Betwixt and between.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote