View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #598
Awesom-0

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
These repairs aren't "large" enough that it would be effective to do so with a national team of dedicated techs. That would only be cost effective if they can schedule the cars to all be there at once(nearly impossible) and the dealer has space to add 2-3 more techs/vehicles in the shop. Instead Most dealerships will have the same tech do repairs like this vs all of their techs.

My company does something like this. We only do it in certain cases and on a regional scale. We don't bring a tech from Texas to Work on something in Cali. Some of our locations will "borrow" the tech to come to their location for an item vs taking a big write-off for having someone do a major repair for the first time. But, this is the world where we have 100+ hour repairs.
Manufacturers usually avoid this at all costs. I imagine they will eat the expensive costs of new heads.

Yes you can replace valve springs without removing heads but almost always you don't want to. It's just a huge pain and takes more time if the head is even to spec.

I have never seen a head to spec over all coming off any engine. And we never did head work at a dealership or even send them out. New head assembly saves you a ton of time and effort. Even then some techs would just get an entire engine under warranty lol.

Anyways I'm digging around trying to find the parts list for the recall. Mines at like 27k miles and I'm not letting them touch it unless it's both head assemblies even when I know the master tech I can get to do it. We both went to college sponsored by a manufacturer.
Awesom-0 is offline   Reply With Quote