View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Need Aftermarket Alarm Help

A few weeks back my car was broken into without the factory alarm doing shit. The doors were definitely locked and the factory alarm was enabled...but somehow the thieves were able to open the door without triggering the factory alarm and break apart my head unit in a crappy attempt to steal it....

That brings me to now. I had a Clifford 3305X alarm system installed as soon as I got my car back from getting repaired. So far I'm not very satisfied so I'm hoping to find out if there are options that work better with a Limited BRZ or not.

These are my issues:

1. The range sucks unless you're in an open field. Put 1 wall between me and my car and the remote will only communicate with the car about 25% of the time, if that.

2. The impact sensors suck. I seriously have to hit my car hard enough to make a deep dent in order to set the sensor off. I've had alarms in the past that were way more sensitive than my current Clifford alarm, yet the installers insist that the sensors are set to max sensitive.

3. The sensor really only responds on one side of the car, which is by the steering wheel/driver side fender. The rear of the car, as well as the passenger side, are hardly responsive to any impacts since the impact sensor is located by the driver front panel.

4. The trunk has no sensor. I can have my alarm fully armed, open my trunk...and nothing. With the impact sensors being so crappy you'd only hope that the trunk would at least trigger the alarm if it's opened while the alarm is armed. Nope. Anyone can forcefully pry open my trunk with only slight chances of triggering my impact sensor, and once the trunk is open there's still no trigger to set off the alarm.

5. Proximity key issues. I cannot approach my car with my proximity key or else my alarm will go off. I always have to disarm the alarm before I even get close to my car. This is a pain because sometimes I'll have the keys in my pocket but just walk by my car while taking my dog out and set off my stupid alarm. Is this something that happens with Proximity Keys and Alarms? Do they not work well together?

6. Remote Start. This is just something extra, but I figured if I was going to get an alarm I wanted to try Remote Start as well. Apparently there's a problem doing that with a car that has a Smart Key, so I guess that isn't possible...at least that's what they told me. I didn't do any research on it, but if remote start is something that's possible with a Smart Key I'd like to get some info on that.

Okay, so there are my issues with the alarm that I recently got installed. Are there any alarms out there that you all would recommend that work well with a BRZ + Smart Key? Thanks for the feedback fellas!!