View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I'd be very interested to see how the STI/TRD factory versions do since they would hopefully come on better rubber and have a small bump in power. I think the stock Michelins are a big factor here. They're great for hooning, but pretty poor for anything else.
I think the stock tires are a factor to the big success of the twins.
They don't have enough power to easily overcome the grip level of performance tires. And if they had performance tires, the car would still not be competitive against powerful sportscars.
With Primacy HP tires the car focuses on fun, and that's why it scores so high in all subjective tests. That is why it is such a great driver cars. It was built for fun, of course it can do speed and laptimes. But so can many other cars.
The car reviewers cant really complain about lap times, because its not the intented purpose of the stock cars. That makes them focus so much more on the fun part. And the stock tires makes the car more lively and fun.

The stock tires are great in terms of road noise and fuel economy. They are great for fun, they work great on the track.
Adding tires that would knock off 1-2 seconds on a lap would just do that one thing. Add more grip, add compromises on everything else.
The twins have won huge car tests in: TopGear, Autocar, Autoexpress and scored very well in many other tests.
I think the tire choice only helped it with those achievements.
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote