View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That causes a big problem. The front bites much more than the rear, so by the time you're locking up your fronts, the rear is barely even doing anything.
**Edit**

Just realised you meant the pad difference is a big problem. I interpreted it as the not using pedal dance.

Would you recommend a more or less aggressive pad in the rear (with pedal dance, and stock brakes)?

**Disregard below (answer to pedal dance)**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That causes a big problem. The front bites much more than the rear, so by the time you're locking up your fronts, the rear is barely even doing anything.
What can I say... I am a scientific kind of person. Without evidence, I won't follow advice blindly. Then I'd rather make my own experience.

I did read many threads about the pedal dance and decided not to use it on purpose. I found it to be too much voodoo and hear-say, with lack of real documentation or telemetry. Add to that that people experience other kinds of phenomenas like lack of braking at all ("ice mode") and I decided to leave it on.

To be honest, I am still very confused about Electronic Brake-force Distribution actually works in practice. Based on how the system is theoretically is supposed to work it would appear that it should be an advantage. Here is the description from scion.com:
Quote:
EBD responds to sudden stops by redistributing brake force. Wheels with more braking effectiveness receive more brake force; wheels with less effectiveness receive less brake force. This helps prevent brake lockup.
In theory it would mean that it should keep the balance optimum. And even increase brake pressure on the rear if the front is about to lock up first.

It would appear that it is not working as intended? Maybe the system is just as crappy as VSC which seems to have too slow processing power or just lousy programmed. More expensive sport car brands have VSC that actually works (think Ferrari or even Formula 1 cars). But maybe it's the same for EBD? Maybe the intention is good, but the system reacts wrong/too slow or it is set up overly conservative to avoid any risk of the rears locking up first?

I got into a massive slide under trail braking. I was actually puzzled what caused the slide until I saw the video at home (unfortunately I forgot to press record on my foot cam in that session, but you can still see my foot on the brake).
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atS7q8UDglg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atS7q8UDglg[/ame]

I am still not entirely sure what I did there. Maybe I was just breaking too hard. But the rear brakes must be working too or I should have been plowing instead? Or it's just the weight transfer at play?

Still very confused and still don't feel I have the complete picture or information. But now I have my own experience that will warrant turning it off next time and see if it makes a difference for me.

With all that said, would you recommend a more or less aggressive pad in the rear (EBD off, and stock brakes)?

Thanks for you help Mike!

Last edited by Tor; 07-02-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote