MattQ-WP

Drives: Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Murph View Post
Went from E46 ZCP to FR-S.....

It is such a downgrade.

Taking a loss on the FR-S and getting a E92 M3 like I should have done.
It's not a downgrade... it's a side grade.. it's a totally different car... the BMW brand is trying to expand more and more into the US and so the cars are getting bigger, fatter and more comfy to accommodate the US market

(sorry guys, not a nice fact but you are the...er.. "heaviest" people on the planet on average)

The Bimmers of old (E30, E36, E46 to lesser extent) used to be much more driver oriented cars but with the E90 series onwards, there is more and more focus on all round DD as apposed to driver focus.

VW made the same mistake with their GTI's and only recently go them back to the Mk1 and Mk2 status symbol level they once were...

So Bimmer is going through it's fat and middle aged period as a manufacturer where it is trying to cram more and more space, comfort, daily usability and safety into it's cars... the net result for enthusiast drivers is that the cars are becoming less like track day playthings and more like boats, or mercedes's.

For some this is desirable and it's not a good VS bad clear cut thing... that's why I say you have SIDE-GRADED and not DOWN-GRADED.... you basically purchased a red-head when you should have purchased a blond

The new M3 is certainly a more comfy all rounder, but as for being as fun as an 86... hmmm.. I dunno...

I've been doing regular and aggressive track driving for nearly 2 decades now and the E90 M3 doesn't feel "on edge" and exciting until I push it to the very limit of my ability...on the street it's just plain boring (unless you enjoy straight line speed in which case get a muscle car rather)

The 86 by comparison gets me grinning from as low as 60km/h... I can even get it powersliding at road legal speeds...and THAT is a driver's car!!

INITIAL DRIVING CLIP
MattQ-WP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MattQ-WP For This Useful Post:
Tanuki (08-28-2012)