View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Whats it actually say on the ticket? Like what did you get cited for specifically?

I'm in NYC with a pretty loud exhaust, never been stopped for it. But judging by you saying 30mph, you were outside of the actual city... Quieter area I guess?
In NYS, it's an illegal equipment violation. The law officially is that it can't be any louder than the factory system, which gets short-handed to "Must be the original system."

It's a scam, and it's crap, and almost certainly a barely legitimate pretext to spend some time up close and personal and doing their "I smell something" face to look for more serious things.

You COULD fight it, and ask the judge how they know it's louder and make the officer come with actual readings. I think this is a rebuttable presumption though, which means burden of proof is on you.

In any event, in NYS, it's required to be a fix-it notice for that equip violation. either 24 or 48 hours from the next business day sundown to show up back at a station with the quiet exhaust on. The have no choice BUT to give you a statutory opportunity to fix it.

For me it was about an hour and a half of wrenching. Got it "fixed" and signed off, and the loud exhaust was back on in a week. I have not been stopped again since. I would bet that if you decided to just take the fine, you'll be picking up a couple more fines on your way home that day.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote