humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhuyvan1106 View Post
Hello all,

Before I begin, I just want to make it clear that I taught myself how to drive stick shift, I don't have much knowledge about cars in general, but I am learning, so I don't know if the upcoming description is normal.

So, I just bought my 2016 FRS a month ago, but when I shift from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 (Of course, I press the pedal down all the way), my gear shifts feel really clunky, and it requires quite an effort to shift between these gears. You know when you don't press your clutch pedal down 100%, it does not change gears smoothly (but not really , yeah, my car feels like that 98% percent of the time, especially when I shift gears between 2k5 rpm and 3k rpm. However, when I shift at higher rpm (usually near 4k rpm for me), it feels smooth. . One last question, is it normal you hear a noise from under your seat when you shift gears?.

Please help me out with this. Thanks alot.

Btw, if you are wondering, the car is brand new.
Well, nhuyvan1106, first off, WELCOME to the forum and CONGRATULATIONS on your new car .......

There has been several threads posted about shifting this transmission, that you may wish to review.

Meanwhile:

* a new transmission takes a while (a few thousand miles) to break in, to where it will shift smoother

* shifting a manual transmission (smoothly) takes some practice, so be patient.

* you should not hear a noise under the seat when you shift your transmission. However, the manual transmission is a set of heavy gears moved around by lever, pretty close to where you're sitting, so, it will make some "sounds".

* this transmission will shift smoother once it warms up (driven 5-10 miles).

* As you have found out, I would suggest that when shifting, wind up the last gear pretty tight (4-5,000 rpms) before shifting into the next higher gear.

* Also, when shifting, pull (or push) the shift lever slowly and firmly into the next gear.

* always push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

Since your car is new, if you feel it's not shifting properly, I would suggest you stop into the dealership and have a tech take it for a short drive and give an opinion ..... and/or drive another car at the dealership and make a comparison.

Anytime you have questions about your new car ...... first do a search (use google) and then if you are still confused, just make a post.......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (10-08-2016), nhuyvan1106 (10-09-2016), Ultramaroon (10-08-2016)