Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #368
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Toyota seems to be particularly good at taking a beautiful design and making it progressively uglier with each facelift.

7th Gen Celica is one example, when they moved to a vacuum cleaner snout.
Even the 2002-2006 Camry had this happen. And the Yaris/Echo. And the MR2 Spyder.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Well in fairness what is "ugly" is pretty subjective and for every person that thinks a change is for the worse there will be somebody that thinks it is a vast improvement. Much of the dislike of a facelift is related to a subconscious resistance to change. People all the time say "the first model of the XXXX looked the best". Much of that is because the first version was new and exciting but facelifts are just not as much fun to see so the original is held as a higher standard. If this facelift came out first and was what everybody was used to then many would think the current version was ugly if the car was changed to it. It is just the way the brain works.
Cosmetic and body designs change based upon market research, trend analysis and current culture and are not just random events. The people that planned the changes do not live in a cave and just throw random shit at the car those changes are well researched and planned for what the current trend is.

Having said all that I am not convinced I like the change but will have to see the real thing before I make up my mind. I can never tell just how good or bad a car's lines look in 2 dimensional pictures so reserve judgement until I can walk around one.
daiheadjai (03-13-2016), wireman957 (03-13-2016)