View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #951
fduboss302

Drives: 2013 Boss 302, 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Cool

Hi all ,

I'm Frank and I just drove to work from the dealer this morning with a 2014 WRB BRZ Limited 6 speed. Pictures and comparisons to my weekend car (2013 Mustang Boss 302 w/ torsen) to follow in a separate thread later.

I had read a response to Driving Vancouver's BRZ review thread a while back and this summarizes my position on toy cars pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
Yup, I think there is a lot of 'grass is greener' within the car enthusiast realm.

Enthusiasts who haven't or don't own a high powered car always think 'If a little more HP is good, then a lot more is better', and lust after those big bragging rights horsepower numbers. Even if it compromises reliability, driveability, and maintenance.

Then guys with expensive high powered cars let them sit in the garage because fuel economy is bad, too loud, concerned about wear, maintenance is high, can't really use all the power on the street, etc. These are often heavier and bigger cars. Then they wish for something a little more tame and nimble that can be used everyday.

I've been on both sides of the fence and feel I have a pretty good balance now with having one of each. Both are thrilling in their own way and I'm always excited to drive either car around. No matter what I take out, I feel like I'm winning.

There are a few cars that fit between the two and even fewer that do it well, but even then, they're not objectively better than cars that are deep into either category.
Since I have a heavy car with lots of power and mechanical grip that soaks up bumps pretty nicely, I don't particularly have a longing for more power out of the BRZ.

This is my DD (replacing my outgoing crashed 2001 NB Miata, RIP) and I can tell I'm gonna love it. It feels light despite being a bit heavier than my NB Miata but the chassis is significantly stiffer than my NB with rollbar and the car is just nice overall inside and out. Also I'm glad I have some semblance of highway passing power now.

A couple of weird notes, the dead pedal zone especially from a stop. I saw the Perrin pump the gas pedal 20 times without starting the car thread. The 3K+-4500??? RPM torque dip is pretty noticeable (I haven't been bouncing off redline everywhere but I certainly don't baby the cars everywhere like some do during breakin)

First mods I can think of are the sound tube delete and rear backup camera. Will hit an autocross and a track day after the first oil change at 1200 miles or so.
fduboss302 is offline   Reply With Quote