View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Superchan

Drives: 2015 scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Is there a reason for 8s vs a 10? I'm running (and attempting to sell) a PWM110-JXWXv2. It does a very solid job on the cheap really, only a little big, but smaller than 2 8s
From what I was told (Was told, I'm ignorant, grain of salt) 10's are capable of moving more air, thus creating more bass, however there's a higher chance of distortion or something. Completely dependent upon the quality of the speaker itself. I, personally, am not looking for rattle-my-door-hinges bass, but thump-my-chest-a-bit bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
As has been mentioned by @Chimera, 1000W is too much for those speakers.
Of course, "1000W" is a very vague term. There's a lot more to consider in this area.
I'm getting some recommendations on the 208's
Quote:
Depends entirely on what you want out of it.

Are you looking for a stealth or factory-looking clean install and not losing a ton of trunk space? You'll be utilizing the space in the rear corners of the trunk. You can't fit 2 8" subs in the spare tire well and still have the trunk floor. It's going to be quite a bit more difficult, even for a good woodworker, to fabricate something that fits well in the spaces in the rear corners of the trunk than it would for someone who knows how to use fiberglass.

If you don't care about losing your trunk space or making it a clean/stealth install, you can build a box that sits in the trunk. But you'll still have to compute air volumes, consider ports/no ports, etc. Or, you can buy a pre-fab sub box at a big box retail store for probably the same or less cost than what your materials might cost. Of course, they won't be specific for your install, but they'll work.
Not really caring too much about a clean install, but I think my "stick it to the rear seat thing" idea is kinda cool.
Quote:
Perhaps, but there are as many answers to that question as there are stars in the sky. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

You'd need to nail down specifically what your needs, desires, budget, and priorities are.
Budget is around $750, ish. The 208's + amp + controller would fit in that.
Quote:
LOTS of options, see above point about figuring out needs first.
Deciding factor now if the 208's are recommended, I know @Trashed675 had a 108 installed I think
Quote:
Amplifies electrical current. Speakers have magnets in them, magnets respond to electricity. Send electricity near a magnet and it moves. When the speaker moves it displaces air. Displaced air creates sound waves.

If you're really interested in learning how amplifiers work, consult the Google.
Coolio, I'm kind of a nerd.
Quote:
Yes. Well, probably. I am not sure on the FR-S. On the BRZ the factory audio system has an amp. It's a piss weak amp, but it's an amp, technically.

In either case, even if you do have an amp, it's not adequate to power subwoofers, so it's moot.
So definitely getting an amp.
Quote:
Lots, probably, depends on what you decide to end up doing. It's not rocket surgery, but if you don't have a basic understanding of what you're doing....
My friend is helping me install the wiring stuff, and he used to work at an audio shop. He told me to go with my own stuff originally rather than overpaying for someone to do a (probably) less than adequate job. Car stuff isn't huge in my area unless I want to drive a couple hours into missouri.
Quote:
No, but it could catch fire. That's not a joke. Be sure to do some research before you embark on a wiring job.
Fire extinguisher on hand, noted.
Superchan is offline   Reply With Quote