serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
They've mentioned the rotary in the context of the generator engine in a Volt-type hybrid in the past as well. This may be more realistic.

They are un-nervingly smooth, and can probably be tuned to be very efficient at a narrow rpm, and just spin there until the battery's charged.
As an electric power generation unit peak efficiency would be most important as you know. The challenge I see here is that the surface area to volume ratio on these things suck, so they reach peak efficiency at 5000rpm or something whereas piston engines of comparable displacement reach peak efficiency usually no higher than 3000rpm. I imagine 5000rpm is a bit noisy. If they can redesign the seals as described in the article, friction could be much less of a problem compared to piston engines though, and it would be promising.

Oh right, does anyone have any idea how the friction of a rotary compares to a piston engine? Rotaries have inherently less friction in the design, but I remember reading that because of sealing considerations they have more? friction.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote