View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #218
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
For myself, with a somewhat majority of my listening being electronically created music, it's mainly about shaping the sound more to my preference with the selection of gear while getting more details out of the music, not about realistic/accurate representation of the initial sound. I really could care less about how it is supposed to 'actually sound' - I just want it to sound good to my preference. My gear focus is mainly headphone focused as its my prefered method of music listening. I buy gear to specifically present the music how I like it...that's why I've gravitated to warmer gear with more dynamics and detail.

This is the frequency response of my favorite headphones (beside the STAX):

And they are paired with warm leaning, yet highly detailed and clear sounding gear. In the past, I thought neutral DAC and amps were what I should have to keep the warm leaning TH-X00PH in check and give great detail, but the music just never did sound right. Came across too sterile sounding and actually lacking in bass and dynamics. Basically it was as if trying to restrain the sound and shape it in a way which didn't really showcase what the full potential could be. But I was just following what I saw most everybody recommending - pair a warm headphone with neutral equipment. Basically said 'screw it' and decided to pair them up with warm but very clear and detailed equipment and haven't looked back since.

For sound preference, I would say clarity, detail, dynamics, and impact are what I really like in music. Honestly, soundstage is not much of a concern and neither is tonality (other than does it sound 'recognizable') and accuracy of reproduction is not on my radar. Now the STAX Lamdas do have very accurate tonal reproduction, but they also excel at dynamics and punch and are a forward sounding and exceptionally clear headphone/earspeaker. They also present a sound space different from most headphones... hard to describe, but they present pinpoint imaging with directionality befitting of a really good HT system.

Short answer, I just want it to sound good...
MuseChaser (03-16-2018)