Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedderple View Post
When you mention comfortable, would you be able to describe stock and KW v3 on a scale of 1-10 when compared to stock? (10-like a lexus, 1-go cart)
My apologies for the delayed response to your questions. When you started talking about a scale compared to stock, I thought about it, and realized that I wouldn't be able to give you a very good answer as I hadn't driven a stock car in a very long time. So last night I arranged for a quick test drive of a stock, 2014 BRZ with my local dealership (36,000 miles on it) so that I could have a good benchmark for comparison.

It's important to keep in mind that my car is on 18x9 wheels, with 255/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. This means a much thinner sidewall, and a much stiffer tire compared to stock, and that alone will significantly increase ride harshness.

Having said that, I was genuinely surprised when driving the stock BRZ. My car is MUCH more planted, and changes direction much more willingly, and with much more precision than the stock car, and yet I was blown away by how similar the overall ride comfort was. My car is a bit more "harsh" over bumps due to the thinner, stiffer tires on bigger wheels, which cannot absorb sharp impacts as well, but the overall ride was eerily similar, which was pretty cool to me. It doesn't have the floaty feeling you get with the stock suspension (which is FINE on its own, until you compare it with a car like mine), and it will follow bumps and curves in the road more aggressively, and it won't lean as much in corners, but even with my thinner tires, the ride quality was surprisingly similar.

If I had the OEM wheels and tires on the car, I'm not sure you could really say one was noticeably more comfortable than the other, but even with my skinny tires, it was close enough that if you're fine with the OEM ride quality, you wouldn't be complaining

On a scale of 1 to 10, (10 being Lexus, and 1 being Go-Kart), and with OEM being a 5, I'd honestly rank my current ride quality, even with my wheels and tires, at maybe a 4 at the WORST, but probably more like a 4.5.

Also worth noting that this is with my compression and rebound at recommended "intermediate" settings. They can be made softer than my current setup, and also stiffer, which is what I do for autocross.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
How often do you need to get them rebuilt? any idea on cost of rebuild?
I honestly don't know the answers to these questions. I was just going to play it by ear. Someone the other day said 25k mile intervals, but that would mean a yearly rebuild which I think is ridiculous. Hopefully more like 60k miles, which would be every three years in my case.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (10-11-2017), Racecomp Engineering (10-06-2017), strat61caster (10-06-2017), Tedderple (10-06-2017)