View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
JamesK

Drives: 2013 - Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Need help choosing coilovers

Hi everyone,

I guess ill start off by saying what i would like to get out of my car and modifications being done.

Firstly my car will basically be for street use with occasional spirited/aggressive driving. In 12 months time i do plan to go Forced Induction. I do not have any future plans as of yet to every track my car although i may in the next couple of years which would only be once or twice not something i'm taking into consideration when choosing a set of coilovers.

I will be running quite an aggressive wheel setup 19x8.5+40 Front 19x9.5+40Rear on 235/35, 265/35 respectively on Work 2pc Forged wheels. Plans on lowering the car will only be 15-25mm from stock height.

I have been reading the forums/suspension section quite extensively and decided to post my own thread as some questions i have not been able to find an answer for and to get a broad recommendation from people here and maybe some professional answers.

Along with the coilover set i will be installing at the same time the RS-R LCA and rear toe link along with the whiteline suspension bushing kit.

I have been looking at the below Coilovers and would like some help in deciding which to get and am open to other suggestions.

Tein Flex Z
RS-R Sports I
Bilstein B14/16
MCA Purple X Series
Fortune Auto 500 w/SwiftSprings
KW V3

I'm basically ruling out kits like BC/Megan as they don't seem to have a good reputation regarding valving to correct spring rates and quality seems sub par.

I have heard good things regarding the Tein Flex Z more of a you get your moneys worth here although a lot of people seem to start seeing issues after 5000-7000 Miles such as loud clunking noises and other weird suspension noises.

Regarding MCA i have heard great things and a big bonus is they're local to me although it does seem like it was quite a bit of a hype when they released coilovers for the FRS/BRZ. Great time attack times although all racing vehicles they produce are the MCA Golds and honestly at that price-point id rather get a set of Penske's. As for the blue and purple series i have heard mixed reviews regarding the dampers and valving as they are not altered much or tested compared to the Red/Gold. Would love further specs/opinions on these.

My first choice would have been the B16's as this is a quality product with local support only a 5 minute drive away, although only thing steering me away from these is the spring size is same as OEM which might give me some clearance issues. Don't really want to spend $2000 to have them not work with my desired set up.

My budget would be between 1500-2000AUD or USD give or take a couple hundred.
It would be a bonus if there were some sort of local support or can be locally rebuilt as living in Australia makes this quite hard with quite a few of the better options out there such as the KW.

Thanks in advance love to hear everyones thoughts and sorry for the long read.
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote