View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Yep. Well to their defense or lack of, they just used what they had in stock which was the old revision part. That's my guess anyway.

As for working on it your self, it's pretty straightforward. I did it with basic hand tools. Only thing I did buy was a harbor freight tranny jack.
As for the lube, either look any auto part store or buy what Subaru recommends which is Nichimoly N-130 item number K0879Y0501

If you don't have tall jack stands I recommend Harbor Freight SUV jack stands. Those can raise your car pretty high safely.
Also a buddy sure helps. At lest to hand you sockets or beer.
And buy new tranny fluid. Drain it before so you won't make a mess.

Oh Ultramarroon has a tip to strap down the engine so it won't rock back and forth when you take the tranny out, had I known that trick it would have made my tranny removal so much easier and quicker.
Appreciate the input. I keep seeing the UREA grease that Honda uses for the throwout bearings being mentioned after doing some search for information on lubrication for this. Seems a lot of guys out there use this stuff on non-Honda cars and recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda.../dp/B00BFDFYKW

As far as the release bearing not being the updated version, I'm certain it is not. The clutch and the bearing were replaced before this updated part was available. I'm not sure if I trust the OE part even if it is an updated version to address the problem.. Sachs or OE... hmm

Now its just a matter of ordering parts and seeing when I'll have time to work on the thing.

Edit: Just saw this post on where they got the idea that the grease was the main culprit and different. Thanks to @VerusEric with the comparo of an older bearing with the new part number. Just for that, I'm throwing the forged fork and billet pivot to the shopping list.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 07-17-2019 at 11:20 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Bodalenko (07-23-2019), VerusEric (07-18-2019)