weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,593 Times in 2,933 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
You probably didn't really get my allusion. You had an updated car with the new OEM exhaust manifold and a factory tune that didn't have the very rich AFRs at WOT. You didn't get the gains that a pre-17 MT car would get with a 1.3 stage tune. You will be lucky if you got half of the original gains (~15whp). I suppose you were aware that the first cars were not really 200ps cars, but yours was much closer to the catalog 205ps spec. I'm not sure how much happy you are now with the cosworth header, the testing with the different overpipes & exhaust and all the mess with the leaks and experimentation, but value for money looks that it wasn't really a very good decision. You should have gone with a supercharger from day one.
I think there were plenty of gains to be had. I'm not expecting a lot of power. Nor do I see it as a waste of money. I tailored the exhaust for the right sound I desired with power associated. Sure it was expensive to get the JDL combo front pipe and then turn around and buy the HKS, but it was well worth it. Originally Cosworth quoted the 1.3 on MY12-16 as 30 over stock at peak power. I know there were updates to the '17+, but don't try to convince me that it didn't net me even half of that. I'm not convinced that the 17+ manifold is that big of an improvement. I'd guess, with the slightly restrictive HKS piping, I'd only lose a few horses. At least that's what @Matt@Cosworth estimated. Either way, whether I gained the full 30, or just 5, I'm pleased with it. I had the supercharger before, and I loved it. As well, I'm not exactly in a position financially to risk it right now if the engine grenades (not that I suspect that would happen given the R&D behind the tuning).

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote