View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #929
phatroksek

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLaw View Post
Wow. That looks great. Can you take a close up of the wheel so I can see the finish? I'm interested to see what the metalizer did.
sure!
so... i learned after i finished glossing... the plasti dip glossifer, and i suppose the metalizer, should and would offer a high gloss finish if the base coats are nice and smooth. mine were definitely not. if not, then it doesn't matter how much clear you put on, it will never be a solid smooth shiny gloss surface.
if i did it again, i would use less, slower strokes; i was doing many and quick/ fast misting strokes (which typically is what i do with regular paint with success, not plasti dip)

when actually spraying the metalizer, you see a lot of glitter. however, this doesn't stay. i've only had the wheels finished for about 3 days, 1 on the car, and i hardly see any glitter left.
the metalizer is supposed to be a glossifer with silver flake, however, i believe the amount of silver flake is actually very high, which offers this silvery finish. the base coat black that comes through is what keeps it more gunmetal colored.

anyway, all that being said, i've got a somewhat sheeny finish with different amounts of reflection on different parts of the wheel when there's light. otherwise, it's a fairly flat finish, just not simply matte.

more cell phone pics - close ups:

hope these help!
phatroksek is offline   Reply With Quote