View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnapshot View Post
Thanks for the advice. I dropped my diff last night. At first glance the seals seem fine, but I ran out of time to remove them and inspect thoroughly. I will be taking them out tonight and will take a closer look.

When I drained it, I only got about 3/4 of a quart. So I lost about half a quart from the leak in 3 weeks.

How hard is it to get the axles back in?

The breather seemed fine and no oil was present there. The diff cover seems to be good as well with no leaks visible. Just the axles seals.

If the diff was overfilled would this "blow out" the seals? Or what could be causing the seals to leak? It doesn't seem like they would ever see pressure. build up with having the vent there.
The breather vent isn't straight open to atmosphere. I had a spare one and blew into it and it does still contain a small amount of pressure. Maybe .5 psi. I vaguely remember removing a plug and hearing a little bit of pressure escape or enter.

There's also a decent chance that there is still a decent amount of diff fluid clinging to everything internally. So measuring fluid out may not give an accurate representation to how much was lost. There's also really no way to overfill unless you use a pump to flow oil in fast and then plug quickly. A normal fill means filling through side port until oil starts to spill out a little.

Getting axles back in is much easier than removal. Just be careful not to nick the seals when inserting. Before reinstalling, I would get an eyeglass screw driver and bend the cir-clips back out a fraction so they more resemble OEM. Manual says replace, but I've replaced them and I've used old ones and couldn't tell the difference.

I actually had a similar instance of seal failure, I think it was a lubrication issue in my case. Haven't had an issue since though.

Here's another reference thread where guy had same issue:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80417

Last edited by kodyo; 01-06-2016 at 12:58 PM.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
xsnapshot (01-06-2016)