serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post
Keep in mind I haven't driven either of these, so I lack first hand experience... But the 997 feels so much smaller and more svelt in person, so I imagine that translates into perceived size when driving it. Looks wise I think the 997 (and 987) front end is the best of the modern cars, but I imagine it drives much smaller than the 991 or especially 992. Combined with the fact that it's still got the hydraulic power steering, and I think it would make a better driver's car. If you care about value, they made far less of them and I think they're going to retain value moreso than the later GT3s (50% of all 991.2s are GT cars supposedly)

That said, you don't get that 9k redline, "only" 8400, lol…
Interesting perspective. To my eyes, they look very similar in size and styling (front ends look exactly the same to my eyes, and I actually like the sharper, skinny taillights on the 991 more, more reminiscent of the old-school 911 rectangular lights), and IIRC the 991 generation has a lighter chassis despite the increased wheelbase. Since the new cars are all 4.0L, I feel like the uniqueness of the 997 4.0 has been diluted. If it were my money, I don't think I could justify paying more for the older car when the newer one is just better and looks more or less the same (sort of the opposite with McLarens, where the newer car is much more money than the depreciated old one that has basically the exact same engine and styling).

The reviews say the 991.2 and 992 steering has been de-numbed, and with 4 wheel steer I feel like "nimbleness" shouldn't be a problem. If their claims are true, I also really like how the hardened valve seats don't require any valve adjustments for the life of the engine. Electrohydraulic steering is a fun gimmick especially with the whining noise but a good electric assist system is more reliable, lighter and doesn't intrude into the frunk.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
MaverickMonk (09-23-2019)