View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What @Tcoat said, on the street: downshift downshift downshift (basically 'engine braking' or 'coasting in gear' to slow down for the anticipated change in speed, stop light/sign, child, etc.) then brake, then clutch when engine rpm drops to ~1500 (could also heel-toe the downshifts to have constant deceleration while keeping revs in the useful range). Saves fuel, easier to accelerate if the light turns green, ball rolls out of the way, traffic clears etc.

Emergency stop? Crossed the finish line at autox and don't want to run over the person with the sticky notes? Brake hard then clutch. If you clutch first your engine will be hanging up at 3k, 4k, 7k while you apply the brakes. The car will be ok if it stalls, it won't be if you hit something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeSlap View Post
Coming from an older Honda I find it a bit more difficult to heel toe in the FRS. The integra I blip the throttle and it was exactly where it needed to be. In the FRS I have to stomp the throttle and sometimes I feel like I need to let it stay for a fraction of a second in order to get a smooth heel toe.
Dat throttle by wire yo.
I hate it, I could describe my old POS pickup truck the same way vs. the 86 but you eventually get a feel for blipping hard to 50% throttle to get the revs to come up.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-08-2016)