Old 11-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #24
djwishbone
Last Starfighter

Drives: 2016 FR-S Series 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johl View Post
This is not just aimed at this particular kit (which looks like a very well built example) but why do almost all manufacturers place the turbo towards where the washer bottle and standard air box would be? You can still make an equal length manifold and position the turbo on towards the passenger side of the engine bay. Obviously you would be limited due to leaving enough room for the dump pipe.

Does anyone have a good reason for this? Or is there someone that makes a twin scroll equal length manifold that places the turbo more towards the passenger side? I've been looking for one for quite some time
If I were to guess it would have to do with piping complexity and exhaust routing. There are a lot of kits and keeping costs down during R&D must be a priority. The exhaust already runs down the passenger side so it makes the most sense to have it pointing that way.

The exception would be people like full blown or avo turbo. FB places it to the rear top so they can build a proper intake on the passenger side but they have a lot of intake piping and exhaust routing to deal with. On paper it should have less response and potentially build pressure slower, but overall I really like their kit.

Avo mounts the turbo under the engine. I like this design the most since it places the turbo so close to the exhaust. It also allows the use of the stock airbox which is ideal for "cold air". I didn't care for their turbo choice, IC, or longer path to intake.

I went with FR because of the EFR turbo, local support and optimized pathing for the best possible response. Look at the dyno, this thing spools so damn quick. However, I've never liked the intake path provided by this particular design. You can leave it in the engine bay and suck in hot air or take your bumper off every time you need to inspect or clean your air filter. It's all a trade off.
djwishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djwishbone For This Useful Post:
johl (11-29-2016)