View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 AM   #4785
StevetS

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tune shop wants to charge me an additional $350 to finish the tune.

Hey, thank you for the replies to my previous post about the car not starting. I put the larger injectors back in, and got it to the tune shop which is just down the road.

I have a new issue and I'm looking for thoughts.

I just installed an Edelbrock supercharger on my 2013 FRS. I also added DeatschWerks 700cc injectors and a DeatschWerks DW300C fuel pump. I'll try to keep this short but I wanted some opinions.

Took my car to the tune shop last Thursday evening March 9th. I talked to the owner, he had me text him all the mods added to the car for the tune. I sent him the injector and fuel pump part numbers as well as the map sensor part number. He told me they had never done an Edelbrock supercharger but they had done HKS and another one as well. I left the car in the shop over night and it was there all day the next day on Friday as well. I returned to the tune shop that Friday at 5PM for my appointment.

I agreed to pay 450 for the EcuTek license and 600 for the tune. When I got there they had the car on the dyno but were looking for the offset numbers for the Bosch 2.5 bar map sensor (part number 0 261 230 042) that was on the supercharger. They couldn't find the offset and voltage numbers so the ecu wasn't feeding proper fuel into the system. All 3 of us searched for this info online for several hours.

Nobody was able to find the info the tuner needed, but since it was now about 8PM on a Friday night, there was nobody to call either to find this information, whether it be Bosch or EcuTek. So the tuner had to but a rough but basic map on the car so I could drive it home at least but it is in desperate need of a finished tune.

The owner is asking for another 350 dollars for a retune. At first I was thinking sure sounds good, I just want my car to run. But today I started to realize, they had the car for nearly 24 hours, had the part numbers, had the information and nobody confirmed they had the right information to complete the tune while it was there. If the owner knew he hadn't tuned an Edelbrock SC before but never bothered to acquire the correct information about the setup, I'm not sure why it's my responsibility to pay them more because they couldn't find the information they needed.

This is my first time getting a car tuned so I'm very new to this, but I just think it's bad business to charge a customer more even though you never confirmed you had the data when you had the chance to. Thoughts about this?

PS, does anyone have the offset and voltage numbers for that map sensor? They want me to get a Bosch 3 or 4 bar sensor because they actually have the numbers for those ones, just not the 2.5. I attached a picture of what I saw up on his phone at one point from the ecutek website. Seems like he's looking for info like that.

As of right now I haven't paid him anything, his system was down on Friday and when I sent him a message I was ready to pay him, he never responded.
Attached Images

Last edited by StevetS; 03-15-2023 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling issue with paid vs pay.
StevetS is offline   Reply With Quote