Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
KidWonder

Drives: 2004 Volkswagen Passat Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Even then, I think it's a better idea to save up your cash and get a car when you have a real job. Right now you're thinking, well I have X amount in my bank, and the car costs Y, and Y doesn't seem that much bigger than X. But remember that cars are a liability, they cost you money after you buy them. If you get a good job, and you have enough excess income to support the car and have plenty left over, that's fine. If things don't turn out as well as you hoped, then having that nice car (by the time you have a job, I really hope your mom isn't paying for your rent/insurance...) would be unnecessary burden, even if it doesn't seem like much.

If your attitude towards spending money is, "well I have enough money in my bank", then when you recall that you have other things to pay for, and other things you want to buy, then you'll be in a tight spot. IMO you buy a luxury item if you have enough excess income to pay for it in full EVERY year (well this might be extreme, but I like to be safe), without affecting the other basic aspects of your life. There's a lot of things that cost a lot of money besides cars that you'll need to buy!
You are exactly right. It's just that I have been saving for this car since 10th grade. I was going to get a nice Celica and trade it in for a used FR-S after about 2 years. If I can't find a way to get a surplus income, then I just might pick up a fairly used Celica for temporary use. I hope Apple releases books on the iPad that can be used for my classes, that would allow books to be alot cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback Man!
Are Celica's any good?
KidWonder is offline   Reply With Quote