Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I'm there now starting from scratch again at the very bottom of my company, albeit a totally different line of work that I knew absolutely nothing about (I moved from distributed systems to mainframe). It took me a lot of effort to convince people that I'm willing to take a pay cut and demoted rank just to learn something new.

It really sucks thinking about it sometimes (especially when some co-workers would just treat you like a loser that failed life) but then again scraping by with EI sucks infinitely even more, so it's not too bad.

I wouldn't jump ship right now if I were you. Just enjoy the extra monetary reward.
I've noticed my company pays comparatively low when I look at other companies in the same field. However, some of the other places I've done interviews with either don't provide company vehicles, or their benefit package is worse, or they don't do things like company matched RRSP contributions.

I figure I might do another year of field work (or two) and then think about a change. I could go to school in September for either electrical engineering technologist or mechanical engineering technologist, or whatever the 3 year program is. Lakehead University then offers a 2 year program to get a B. Eng from your diploma. Or, go to school and do a pre-apprenticeship program to become an electrician or an HVAC guy. The other option is go full time with the military and do something in a non-combat role, preferably with the air force.

School is a really scary thought, since that means up to 5 years of a not so regular income, not to mention the stress of playing catch up in math, since I'm a bit rusty given I've been out of highschool for almost 9 years now.

However, it is nice to be young, with a lot of options ahead of me. I can definitely afford to sacrifice for the next few years to be more successful after that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
krayzie (10-27-2017), Teseo (10-27-2017)