View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sadly, I think I'm the one that introduced grounding mods to north america on Nasioc, way back in the day. It was something that the Legacy twin turbo customers noted on the 2nd gen twin turbo's. Purely an accidental byproduct of them trying to get the ultimate sound quality from the McIntosh audio systems that were an option. It was a big thing then (the McIntosh), and in the process of grounding out the system for better audio, the Legacy bbs (in Japan) noticed that the car ran *much* better.

I tried it myself (did I ever mention I spent 15 years living in Japan?), and reluctantly had to agree with them. This was before any of the aftermarket companies had heard of it, so it was all backyard stuff - heading down to Akihabara and getting all the cables/connectors and doing it ourselves. Due to our experience with it, we went to Subaru of Japan and talked about it, and interestingly enough, on the S202 I tested a year or so later, they had actually beefed up the grounding 4x compared to the earlier model Impreza.

But, that's pretty much the last time grounding kits ever had any major impact on a car. The issue was found and resolved at the manufacturer level, and hasn't popped up since then. It's just that it's a highly profitable and easy to sell product, so they keep selling them.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (04-04-2013)